Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Recipe: Gunpowder Mint Tea


Our landlord's mother is always dipping into our herb garden and cooks up these massive pots of tea.. Since I'm not a big fan of basil or oregano tea (yuk!), I decided to try out some of our spearmint that I havent yet tasted but has been making our garden so fragrant!
I dug out the intense Chinese Gunpowder green tea that we bought in Chinatown Vancouver earlier this year and got to harvesting our mint :-)


I used both stems and leaves for maximum flavor


One teaspoon only of this particular green tea because it can get extremely bitter if too much is used
As for the mint, about 5 leaves does the trick for one cup



Tea is always made best with really hot, but not boiling water


Drop ingredients into pot and let steep for about 10 mins


The result? Tea as black as coffee but super delicious! 



I should make this more often... and surprisingly it has more of a kick than a shot of espresso, whilst the mint leaves a nice, cooling aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment